Saturday, May 11, 2019

MTCT #37: Assessments

Music Teacher Coffee Talk #37 is all about assessments.

You can listen to the episode here.


Chain Singing

Students are grouped by teacher in groups of 1 or 2 students per phrase of song. Each student sings one phrase of a well-known song.

4 = Advanced: Student can solo sing a phrase of a well-known songs in-tune consistently, (regardless of others singing out of tune near the student.) The key is established by the teacher.

3 = Proficient: Student can correctly solo sing a phrase of a well-known song in-tune. The key is established by the teacher.

2 = Basic: Student can sing the correct melodic contour of a phrase of a well-known song. (Not necessarily in-tune.) The key is established by the teacher.

1 = Emerging: Student does not use a singing voice consistently.

Carrie's 4 Point Rubric Rhyme (credit to Diane Miller!):

1: "I didn't get anything done, that's why I got a 1."
2: "I did some of what I was supposed to do, that's why I got a 2."
3: "I did just what was asked of me, that's why I got a 3."
4: "I did what was asked and more, that's why I got a 4."

Tanya's rhythm tracing pages 


Work Smarter Not Harder Teacher Tip
Give small choices in the music room.

Tanya's Who Sang It? Interactive Game

Coda (Our professional and/or personal recommendations.)





No comments:

Post a Comment