Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Summertime, and the livin' is easy....(well, easier.)



It's the last couple of days of the school year and the lazy days of summer are almost here. The last day of music classes for my students include re-visiting favorite songs and games from the year. The final minutes of music class I like to read one last book before we all dive into summer break.

The book Summertime by George and Ira Gershwin, DuBose Heyward,  Dorothy Heyward, Mike Wimmer is a beautiful book worthy of those last minutes of class. The text is from the Porgy and Bess lullaby Summertime and the illustrations show the blissful summer days of an african-american family.

One could sing this song to the children while reading but I prefer to play the beautiful rich recording of Summertime by Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald. Everyone should hear this recording, it's simply perfect.

I hope your Summertime is rich and rejuvenating!

1 comment:

  1. I do not have this book! It is going on my wish list for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete